Friday, September 20, 2013

Breaking Bad (ever heard of it?): How it Ends

I like Breaking Bad and I don't care who knows it!

Yes, I realize Walter White fever has gripped the nation, and me waxing eloquent about how great of a show it is won't make for an entertaining read. For me though, it has gotten to the point where I really have no interest in watching any other television shows or movies until this epic final season comes to an end.

I'm especially invested in the series because I was very late to the party and I have been watching the show progress essentially non-stop. I started binge-watching on Netflix a few months back, and the timing just happened to be perfect with the Netflix episodes running out and the current season starting on regular television. The acting, nearly flawless writing, and overall intensity of Breaking Bad is unparalleled in any show I have ever seen.

**Caution** Spoilers ahead. Do not read further unless you are caught up with the current episode.




All joking aside, there are really spoilers ahead. Don't say I didn't warn you. This is your last opportunity to turn back. It's not too late.

Last chance!

Ok....

Here is my prediction for the final two episodes of Breaking Bad. I feel fairly confident about this.

The last episode was so heartbreaking, sad, and tragic, that I can't help but think that even for such a dark show we've hit rock-bottom in terms of despair for Walt and his family. While I certainly don't think we are in for a radiant conclusion to the story, I do feel that Walt will do all he can to rectify the massive damage he's done.

We know from the flash-forwards that Walt will be purchasing a large machine gun in the bathroom of a Denny's -incidentally one of my favorite pastimes- but why does he need it? Walt's last gun purchase was in Season 4, when he insisted it was for defense, when in actuality the plan was more of a preemptive strike against Gus. This time around, I believe he's been stewing about his money being stolen by Uncle Jack and the Nazis, and he's planning on heading into Camp Meth N' Misdeeds guns-a-blazing to get back the fortune he worked so hard to accumulate.

Assuming he successfully takes out Adolf's army, what does he do with Jesse? The Nazis have all but stuck a red ball in Jesse's mouth while making him their personal meth chef. While Walt and Jesse aren't exactly on good terms, I think enough time has passed that Walt will find enough compassion to let Jesse go free, and Jesse's story will end with him living and having an opportunity to have a fresh start. I'm sure there will be a little more to it than that, but that will be the end result.

Now we know Walt's cancer is back, and because he's been forced to flee and stay in hiding, we can assume going to regular chemotherapy sessions hasn't been an option. Knowing he is likely facing his last days has created the sense of urgency that leads to him going after his money, and finding a way to get it to his family. Where is the family? I have no idea, but we know they aren't at home anymore. I predict Walt finds them, and I expect a final interaction and some semblance of a reconciliation (an $80 million reconciliation) between Walt and his family.

This brings us to the ricin. Again from the flash-forward, we know that Walt takes a big risk going back to his old house, and he does it to retrieve the ricin hidden behind a wall outlet plate. He really wanted that ricin...he needed that ricin. Who is it for? I believe it is for none other than Walter White himself. His life is in shambles, he's in hiding, he's dying, he's made some sort of amends with Jesse and his family, and recovered his money. What does he have left? Nothing. He's done, he's "out." He's going to let the ricin take care of him before the cancer does.

That's how it ends.

There's a chance that I'm completely wrong, but that's my prediction. If I'm right, feel free to congratulate me profusely for my intelligence and foresight in the comments. If I'm wrong, this post will be whisked away in a minivan to places unknown.




No comments:

Post a Comment