Monday, December 17, 2012

An Accidental Discovery

I know a thing or two about the internet, let me tell you. However, I wasn't quite prepared for what I saw today on "the web," as the kids call it nowadays.

I have a job, a little something to supplement my income derived from Fondue, and while working at the aforementioned job today, I typed "42," attempting to enter the number onto a spreadsheet. Well, I must have been distracted, for I erroneously typed the number into a Google search instead. My mistake led to me to a fascinating discovery... the number 42 has its own Wikipedia page! Not only that, but the Wikipedia entry begins with "42 (forty-two) is the natural number immediately following 41 and directly preceding 43."  

Has anyone ever seen the number 42 and wondered what it was, gone to Google in a panic, and been relieved to find it was simply a number between 41 and 43? What are the odds someone would know about 41 and 43, but not 42? Does every number have a dedicated Wikipedia page? I'll continue my research and will pass it along to all of you.

5 comments:

  1. I thought it was the meaning of life... Am I wrong?!?!

    Is the meaning of life Laurence Fishburne???

    ReplyDelete
  2. More importantly, it's the number of laws of cricket, and I don't mean Jiminy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Startling facts about other numbers: "77 (seventy-seven) is the natural number following 76 and preceding 78. Seventy-seven is the smallest positive integer requiring five syllables in English."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating. What can you tell us about the number "C"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing right now, I have a low grade fever.

    ReplyDelete