Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Goodbye To Some Comedic Phrases

As a public service, we'd like to announce the passing of some key interoffice guffaw-inducing phrases that have outlived their usefulness.

Got ____? (an homage to the Got Milk? ads)
1993-2013

Got___? had a smooth, but uneventful 20-year career. A phrase used often by armchair comedians, this was a joke that would occasionally elicit a smile, but rarely a laugh. Sadly, even the original ads featuring various celebrities with milk mustaches became unfunny early on, and mildly nauseating to those of us who don't enjoy sloppy eating and drinking habits.


I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.
1990-2013

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you had an illustrious career as a water cooler favorite. It was heavily used in the early 2000's, but had recently fallen on hard times. Originally funny because the thing that you would theoretically be telling was something very tame, such as "hey where is the executive washroom?" Usually followed by a courtesy chuckle by the recipient.

I'm not a _____, but I play one on TV.
1972-2013

Based off a popular Excedrin commercial from the 70's, in which the phrase, "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV," was uttered, this phrase grew in popularity to the point where most any career could replace doctor. One key to the phrase's international adoration was the interactive aspect. As someone said, "I'm not a ____," the person with whom they were speaking could quickly chime in with, "..but you play one on TV..." and the two parties in the conversation could enjoy a humorous moment together.

Some passings not previously reported: : Imitating Sling Blade, "Show me the money," "Let us never speak of this again," "Wazzzup" (The Budweiser guys), "Bud-Wei-ser," (the Budweiser frogs), and "You the man."

1 comment:

  1. In happier news, we can celebrate the nativities of at least two new phrases! Replacing the old guard are such delightful shibboleths as:

    - You don't sell beer?!?! (Born 5/5/2013)
    - I can't wait to get out of these wet clothes and into a giant jar of creamy, organic peanut butter. (9/4/1942-12/2/1998; Zombie resurrection: 5/7/2013)

    ReplyDelete