Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Poem of the Day: Warning! Contains graphic nerdery.

Exchange of Letters
Wendy Cope

‘Man who is a serious novel would like to hear from a woman who is a poem’ (classified advertisement, New York Review of Books)

Dear Serious Novel,

I am a terse assured lyric with impeccable rhythmic flow, some apt and original metaphors, and a music that is all my own. Some people say I am beautiful.

My vital statistics are eighteen lines, divided into three-line stanzas, with an average of four words per line.

My first husband was a cheap romance; the second was Wisden’s Cricketers’ Almanac. Most of the men I meet nowadays are autobiographies, but a substantial minority are books about photography or trains.

I have always hoped for a relationship with an upmarket work of fiction. Please write and tell me more about yourself.

Yours intensely,
Song of the First Snowdrop


Dear Song of the First Snowdrop,

Many thanks for your letter. You sound like just the kind of poem I am hoping to find. I’ve always preferred short, lyrical women to the kind who go on for page after page.

I am an important 150,000 word comment on the dreams and dilemmas of twentieth-century Man. It took six years to attain my present weight and stature but all the twenty-seven publishers I have so far approached have failed to understand me. I have my share of sex and violence and a very good joke in chapter nine, but to no avail. I am sustained by the belief that I am ahead of my time.

Let’s meet as soon as possible. I am longing for you to read me from cover to cover and get to know my every word.

Yours impatiently,
Death of the Zeitgeist


30 comments:

  1. This trumps my classified ad, which just read, "Seeking lady to take to Haiti. See, I'm a poet and I didn't even know it."

    Thanks for getting my last post off the top of the blog. I was ready to delete it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem. I think you meant to say, "Thanks SO much for..."

    You're SO welcome!

    Signed,
    Seeking gent to take to Ghent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I missed that.

    Thanks,
    Seeking shrew to take to Peru

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me neither.

    Again, you're welcome,
    Seeking cad for trip to Trinidad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget Tobago!

    Regards,
    Seeking spouse to take to Laos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tobago? Meh.

    Sincerely,
    Seeking Casanova to take to Moldova

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your Casanova fantasies...

      Peace,
      Seeking Doll to take to Nepal

      Delete
  7. A girl can always dream!

    Realistically,
    Seeking Svengali to take to Denali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a singer who's name escapes me once famously sang, "dreams do come true."

      Forgetfully,
      Seeking a Mae West to take to Budapest




      Delete
  8. I'll Parton the memory lapse.

    Magnanimously,
    Seeking sir for trip to Cote d'Azur

    ReplyDelete
  9. My apologies, I was working 9 to 5 today.

    Hoarsely,

    Seeking fine filly to take to Chile

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I would have expected a rhinestone cowboy such as yourself to saddle us with lame excuses.

    Spiritedly,
    Seeking stud to take to Nizhny Novgorod


    ReplyDelete
  11. Well it was either that, or admit I'd been frequenting the best little whorehouse in Texas.

    Morally Yours,

    Seeking mother hen to take to Yemen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Better watch your pocketbook. Spend too much time there and it will be a hard candy Christmas this year.

    Frugally,
    Seeking john to take to Saigon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fair enough. But her scotch was great, and she had some real pep in her mint.

    Grasping for straws,
    Seeking a ho to take to Tokyo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think we can chocolate up to her winning personality.

    Congenially,
    Seeking a guy to take to Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder if this thread will continue through Sundae?

    Bien a vous,
    Seeking a Betty to take to Serengeti

    ReplyDelete
  16. If it did that would be bon bon!

    Cordialement,
    Seeking groom to take to Khartoum

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ice cream loudly for more puns!

    Innocuously,
    Seeking Belle to take to Carmel

    ReplyDelete
  18. It will be a rocky road for you, my friend.

    Sweetly,
    Seeking beau to take to Monaco

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well as they say, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

    Candidly,
    Seeking date to take to Kuwait

    ReplyDelete
  20. But icing your praises if you try the impossible.

    Frostily,
    Seeking man to take to Cannes

    ReplyDelete
  21. That means everything coming from a tough cookie like you. We all know you can get a bit chippy at times.

    Doughilly,
    Seeking a menace to take to Venice

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maybe so, but I never snicker at doodles.

    Spicily,
    Seeking a brute to take to Beirut

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have a silver tongue when it comes to references to sweets. If only you had a golden ticket....

    Good-pie for now,

    Seeking Flirt to take to Frankfurt

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I had a nickel for every time I heard that...

    I guess it's just an elemental part of my nature.

    Mercurially,
    Seeking consort to take to Hyannisport

    ReplyDelete
  25. While you never offered a penny for my thoughts, it sure seems like you can stop on a dime and change the subject.

    Monetarily,

    Seeking maiden to take Aden

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahem. You, sir, were the one who brought up Ag and Au. But I won't call the coppers on you for fear that doing so might injure your precious mettle.

    Atomically accurately,
    Seeking rake to take to Crater Lake

    ReplyDelete
  27. You've written a real gem there, but my mettle is none of your bismuth.

    Periodically,

    Seeking someone fine to take to Liechtenstein

    ReplyDelete
  28. What curtness! No matter though. My noble gas is that someone simply woke up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday. Next time, you can just gluon a smile and no one will notice.

    With magnetimity,
    Seeking gigolo to take to Montevideo

    ReplyDelete