Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Thanks So Much!

I don't like the phrase, "thanks so much," in fact I despise it.  It's not terribly offensive in itself, but it's the excessive usage that gets me. Is it really that vital to include the "so much?" C'mon now, I just e-mailed you a copy of your invoice, I didn't donate one of my kidneys. A simple, "thanks," will work just fine, so long as I haven't gone to great lengths to help you with something completely out of the ordinary.

While the phrase is intended to make one seem warm and appreciative, it actually comes off as somewhat cold and thoughtless. Here's what I picture when I hear this godforsaken phrase: a surly 50-something office clerk named Pam, wearing purple lipstick (because that's her favorite color!), impersonally uttering "thanks so much" without so much as looking at you, just because you brought her a facsimile from the front desk.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I am? Did I mention it's my birthday?

1 comment:

  1. Scientists have determined that the level of seeming cheerfulness of a closing salutation is inversely proportional to its perceived veracity. To exemplify, "you're awesome!" is universally understood to mean, "suck it!"

    ReplyDelete